Works in Progress
- “Explaining the New Class Cleavages: Geography, Post-Industrial Transformations and Everyday Culture” Prepared for the 2017 American Political Science Association Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- “Constructing Authority, Creating Cleavages: Revisiting Moravcsik’s General Theory of the EU,” prepared for workshop, Princeton University 2017.
- “How Theories of State-building Explain the EU” (with R. Daniel Kelemen), presented at the European Union Studies Association Bi-Annual Conference, Miami, Florida, May 4-6, 2017.
- The Politics of Everyday Europe: Constructing Authority in the European Union (Oxford University Press, 2015: paperback edition with new preface, 2017).
- Making History: European Integration and Institutional Change at Fifty, co-editor with Sophie Meunier, (Oxford University Press, 2007).
- The Currency of Ideas: Monetary Politics in the European Union (Cornell University Press, 1998; paperback edition with new preface, 1999).
Articles and Book Chapters
(Click on article title for downloadable PDF)
- “Imagining Europe: the Cultural Foundations of EU Governance,” Journal of Common Market Studies (2015):1-18.
- “The Euro Crisis’ Theory Effect: Northern Saints, Southern Sinners, and the Demise of the Eurobond” (with Matthias Matthijs), Journal of European Integration 37/2 (2015): 229-245.
- Building Culture: The Architecture and Geography of Governance in the European Union,” in Stefanie Börner and Monika Eigmüller, eds. European Integration, Processes of Change and the National Experience. (Palgrave Macmillan, 2015).
- “Forgotten Embeddedness: History Lessons for the Euro” for The Future of the Euro, edited by Matthias Matthijs and Mark Blyth (Oxford University Press, 2015)
- “International Political Economy, Global Financial Orders and the 2008 Financial Crisis,” (with Daniel Drezner), Perspectives on Politics 11/1 (March 2013): 155-166
- “Imaginary Europe: The euro as a symbol and practice” in Giovanni Moro, ed., The Single Currency and European Citizenship (Bloomsbury, 2013).
- “Constructing Authority in the European Union” in Deborah Avant, Martha Finnemore and Susan Sell, eds., Who Governs the Globe? (Cambridge University Press, 2010).
- “Constructing Europe: Insights from Historical Sociology,” Comparative European Politics 8 (2010).
- “Of Intellectual Monocultures and the Study of International Political Economy,” Review of International Political Economy, 16: 1 (February 2009).
- “A Rivalry in the Making? The Euro and International Monetary Power” Review of International Political Economy 15:3 (August 2008).
- “The Ties that Bind? US-EU Economic Relations and the Transatlantic Alliance” in Temporary Irritation or Enduring Crisis? The Transatlantic Relationship, edited by G. John Ikenberry, Thomas Risse and Jeffrey Anderson (Cornell University Press, 2008).
- “Making History: European Integration and Institutional Change at Fifty” (with Sophie Meunier) introductory chapter in Meunier and McNamara, eds., Making History: European Integration and Institutional Change at Fifty (Oxford University Press, 2007).
- “Economic Governance, Ideas, and EMU: What Currency Does Policy Consensus Have Today?” Special Issue of Journal of Common Market Studies, “The Theory and Practice of Economic Governance in EMU Revisited,” (November 2006).
- “Managing the Euro: The European Central Bank” in John Peterson and Michael Shackleton, eds., The Institutions of the European Union (Oxford University Press, 2006).
- “Economic and Monetary Union: Innovation and Challenges for the Euro” in William Wallace, Helen Wallace and Mark Pollack, eds., Policy-Making in the European Union, 5th edition (Oxford University Press, 2005).
- “Globalization, Institutions, and Convergence: Fiscal Adjustment in Europe,” in Miles Kahler and David Lake, eds., Governance in a Global Economy: Political Authority in Transition (Princeton University Press, 2003).
- “Towards a Federal Europe? The Euro and Institutional Change in Historical Perspective” in Tanja A. Borzel and Rachel A. Cichowski, eds., State of the European Union, Vol.6: Law, Politics, and Society (Oxford University Press, 2003).
- “The Institutional Dilemmas of Market Integration: Compliance and International Regimes for Trade and Finance,” in Michael Doyle and Edward Luck, eds., International Law and Organization: Closing the Compliance Gap (Rowman & Littlefield, 2003).
- “Between National Sovereignty and International Power: What External Voice for the Euro?” (with Sophie Meunier) International Affairs 78, October 2002. Reprinted in Problemes Economiques, August 2003.
- “Statebuilding and the Territorialization of Money: Creating the American Greenback” in David M. Andrews, C. Randall Henning, and Louis W. Pauly, eds., Governing the World’s Money (Cornell University Press, 2002).
- “Rational Fictions: Central Bank Independence and the Social Logic of Delegation” in a special issue on “The Politics of Delegation” edited by Alec Stone Sweet and Mark Thatcher, West European Politics (January 2002). Winner of the Vincent Wright Memorial Prize.
- “Where Do Rules Come From? The Creation of the European Central Bank” in Alec Stone Sweet, Neil Fligstein, and Wayne Sandholtz, eds., The Institutionalization of Europe (Oxford University Press, 2001).
- “Structural Indeterminacy and Sectoral Interests in European Monetary Integration” in Timothy J. Sinclair and Kenneth P. Thomas, eds., Structure and Agency in International Capital Mobility (Palgrave, 2001).
- “Consensus and Constraint: Ideas and Capital Mobility in European Monetary Integration,” Journal of Common Market Studies 37 (September 1999). Winner of The Journal of Common Market Studies Best Article Prize.
- “The Clash of Institutions: Germany in European Monetary Affairs,” (with Erik Jones) and Editor, Money Talks? Germany and the New Europe. Special issue of German Politics and Society 14 (Fall 1996).
- “Common Markets, Uncommon Currencies: Systems Effects and the European Community” in Jack Snyder and Robert Jervis, eds., Coping With Complexity in the International System (Westview Press, 1992).
- “Regional Monetary and Financial Governance” in Thomas Risse and Tanja Borzel, eds., Oxford Handbook on Regional Governance (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2016)
- “Banking on Legitimacy: The ECB and the Eurozone Crisis,” Georgetown Journal of International Affairs, Fall 2012.
- “US Standing in the World: Causes, Consequences and the Future“. Contributor to the Public Report of the Task Force on US Standing in World Affairs (American Political Science Association, October 2009).
- “Making Money, Making States: Political Development, the Euro, and the American Greenback.” University of California at Berkeley, Institute of European Studies Working Paper (2004).
- “European Monetary System” and “Exchange Rate Mechanism'” in R.J. Barry Jones, ed. The Routledge Encyclopedia of International Political Economy (2001).
- “The Promise of EMU and the Problem of Legitimacy” (with Neil Fligstein), Center for Society and Economy Policy Newsletter, University of Michigan Business School, Spring 2000.
- “European Monetary Union and International Economic Cooperation,” International Finance Section Report, Princeton University, 1998.
- “Ideas, Culture and Political Analysis: the State of the Field,” (with Sheri Berman) European Studies Newsletter (May-June 1998).
- “Integrating Left and Right,” European Community Studies Association Review (Fall 1998).
- “European Monetary System” in Desmond Dinan, ed., Encyclopedia of the European Union (Boulder: Lynne Reinner, 1998).
- “Germany’s Monetary Role in Europe” (with Erik Jones). Occasional Paper, European Studies Seminar Series. The Johns Hopkins University, Bologna Center, April 1996.